Syntax is a leader in providing Cloud and Managed Services to businesses across North America. Syntax’s cloud offerings, including their best in class Enterprise Cloud for ERP, continues to grow and accelerate; a unique offering that safely hosts and manages critical business applications. Syntax partners with global IT leaders such as Oracle, IBM and others.
Reporting to the Manager, Compute, the Unix System Administrator is responsible for planning, implementing and performing all the various tasks required to build, administer, monitor, operate and maintain a variety of Solaris / Linux servers. This position requires an accomplished Unix Systems Administrator with extensive experience with Solaris, Oracle Linux and Linux with a proven track record incorporating ability to design, implement, and manage systems.
- Candidate shall perform Systems Administration and provide technical support for the Unix and Solaris systems in various Data Center locations.
- Candidates must possess demonstrable skills in a diverse, mission critical datacenter environment.
- Installing and configuring Linux/Unix operating systems.
- Must be knowledgeable in all aspects of Unix system administration and have proficiency in the use of standard tools and utilities.
- Provide 2nd/3rd level support including on-call after hours support as required
- Coordinate support efforts between inter-departmental groups
- Troubleshoot and resolve system problems and performance issues
- Administer users, groups, passwords, and other aspects of security
- Monitor system logs and activities on all servers
- Maintain formal documentation of managed systems
- Active participation in the ITIL processes, Change, Incident, Release and Problem management.
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT related field and a minimum of 5 years of Linux Systems Administration experience. Additional years of IT work experience can be substituted for the lack of an advanced degree.
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Senior working knowledge in the following areas of Solaris and Linux system administration:
- General system administration, Unix management and configuration, Patch management, Security and auditing, Kernel configuration and management, File system management and configuration, Software installation, configuration, and management and Scripting.
- ORACLE: Experience configuring and managing RedHat Linux servers to support large databases and applications
- Very strong experience with Solaris
- Solaris Certification is an asset
You must be legally entitled to work in Canada and/or in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Email your resume highlighting your relevant experience to email@example.com. Reference MS-OCT1808
NOTE: Unfortunately, we will not be able to reply to applicants who do not meet the above criteria.
Since 1972, Syntax has been providing comprehensive technology solutions to businesses of all sizes throughout North America with thousands of customers trusting Syntax with their IT services and ERP needs.
Syntax’s award-winning Private Cloud Solutions for E-Business Suite, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Hyperion, OBIEE and Siebel deliver what enterprise application stakeholders value the most: superior, reliable performance at competitive, predicable costs.