Lead Sr. Systems Engineer, Montreal or Toronto
Syntax is a leader in providing JD Edwards, EBS, and Professional Services as well as Cloud and Managed Services to businesses across North America. Syntax’s cloud offerings, including their best in class Enterprise Cloud for ERP continues to grow and accelerate; a unique offering that safely hosts and manages critical business applications. Syntax partners with global IT leaders such as Oracle, IBM and others.
Reporting to the Infrastructure Manager, this individual will be involved in architecting, sizing, and deploying virtual and physical compute environments for mission-critical, global application and database software deployments.
- Work with storage and network engineering on provisioning and managing storage and systems software.
- Support Oracle OVM /OEL, VMWare/RHEL infrastructure deployed in HP Blade x86 cloud architecture and Solaris 10/11 Sun SPARC platforms.
- Support the computer infrastructure underneath mission critical applications in production, non-production and DR environments.
- Support projects, provide design and sizing recommendations and operational support.
- Work closely with the Storage, DBA, Networking, Security and Audit teams.
- Work with Systems Administration team to support projects and develop appropriate solutions with technology options as needed.
- Provide hands on support of Linux environments including OS administration and systems support.
- Interface strongly with Security, Audit, DBA, Networking, and Storage teams.
- Design and architect technology solutions to support the environment growth and business needs.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues and problems, both tactical and strategic.
- Manage and maintain Oracle OVM, VMWare, OEL and RHEL on x86 platforms.
- Work with Storage team on EMC VNX, VMAX and XtremIO Storage Infrastructure.
- Provide formal processes and methods to administer and support critical systems.
- Perform proactive monitoring, performance resolution and appropriate scaling of systems.
- Oversee general management and upgrade/patching process for all environments.
- Manage and implement security practices and controls as needed to insure systems.
- Provide backup, system recovery and EMC RPA/DR process and procedures.
- Opportunities exist to expand the focus of this role to include architecting Data Center compute/cloud deployment strategies and automation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of OVM/OEL deployments on x86 platforms.
- Experience in NFS over 10GbE and Fiber Channel storage protocols.
- Experience using enterprise Backup and Recovery software a plus, including EMC Data Domain and/or Avamar.
- Understand system and database factors affecting Oracle database and application performance.
- Demonstrated understanding of networking configuration, performance issues and requirements.
- Demonstrated skill in shell scripting.
- Demonstrated good verbal and written communication skills and ability to work in a global team environment.
- Experience with Solaris 10/11 on Oracle SPARC and OVM and/or Red Hat Linux on x86 platforms a plus, not required.
- Experience using EMC Storage Technologies – VMAX, VNX and/or XtremIO a plus, not required.
- Experience in EMC RPA technologies a plus, not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- Masters’ Degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in a Hosting/ASP/Data Center environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel 25%
Canadian Citizens and U.S Citizens and those authorized to work in Canada and in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Email your resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference 9105-9S.
NOTE: Unfortunately, we will not be able to reply to applicants who do not meet the above criteria.
Since 1972, Syntax has been providing comprehensive technology solutions to businesses of all sizes throughout North America with thousands of customers trusting Syntax with their IT services and ERP needs. Syntax’s award-winning Private Cloud Solutions for E-Business Suite, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Hyperion, OBIEE and Siebel deliver what enterprise application stakeholders value the most: superior, reliable performance at competitive, predicable costs.