Sr. iSeries Technical Analyst, Montreal or Toronto
Syntax is a leader in providing Cloud and Managed Services to businesses across North America. Syntax’s cloud offerings, including their best in class Enterprise Cloud for ERP continues to grow and accelerate; a unique offering that safely hosts and manages critical business applications. Syntax partners with global IT leaders such as Oracle, IBM and others.
Reporting to the Director Cloud and Infrastructure, the Sr. iSeries Technical Analyst is responsible for management, administration, and maintenance of all the IBM i systems within set constraints and reacts appropriately to situations. The Sr. iSeries Technical Analyst is required to utilize industry standard tools to report performance statistics and pinpoint effects of new design elements for application optimization. This person interacts with other groups to accomplish business objectives within procedural policies.
- Provides overall system administration, support and maintenance of operating system and network connectivity for all iSeries systems;
- Monitors and respond to hardware and software alarms using appropriate problem determination tools.
- Monitors enterprise-level Power systems to maintain performance levels within set constraints and react appropriately to situations
- Troubleshoots errors related to the System i hardware, operating system, data base and third party software
- Manages installation of System i and DB2 software CUMs and PTFs.
- Manages jobs and system messages.
- Contributes to project activities by supporting system architecture, technical design and implementation.
- Performs System i disaster recovery activities: plan, documentation, implementation and testing.
- Performs System i LPARS capacity planning, operating system and resources related tuning and optimisation to ensure maximum system uptime and performance
- Utilizes performance management tools for IBM i and projects future trending in order to recommend proper upgrade specifications
- Produces and updates IBMi technical and operations documentations.
- Performs backup and restore operations
- Manages system and user security
- Identifies effects of new product offerings on infrastructure and proposes design ideas
- Researches latest Power technology developments in order to design, spec, and implement the latest and best available technologies
- Experience with IBM PSeries Systems is a definite plus.
- Will be required to work afterhours on weekends
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems or comparable experience.
- 10 or more years of experience administering enterprise-level IBM i Power systems.
- AS 400 related certifications a plus.
- Understanding of TCP/IP, Telnet, FTP, network sharing, DDM, HTTP, VPN, routing, switching, DNS, and digital certificates.
- knowledge of high availability solutions (MIMIX, iTera, iCluster, etc.) is required
- Extensive knowledge in all areas of the System i including: iSeries Security, Work Management, Capacity & Performance, Communication, BRMS, CL Programming, LPAR configuration, HMC configuration and utilization
- Required experience maintaining infrastructure through patching and troubleshooting
- Hands-on experience working within an enterprise wide datacenter environment is desired
- Experience working in a virtualized environment (Partition mobility, AIX, etc)
- Knowledge of IBM V3700 or V9000 storage arrays
- Knowledge of IBM Flex technology
- Knowledge of JD Edwards
- Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to react quickly and appropriately to high pressure/high impact situations and determine the best solution
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Ability to take the lead, as appropriate
- Ability to maintain excellent customer service, internal and external
Canadian Citizens and those authorized to work in Canada are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor at this time.
Email your resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference 9105-5S.
NOTE: Unfortunately, we will not be able to reply to applicants who do not meet the above criteria.
Since 1972, Syntax has been providing comprehensive technology solutions to businesses of all sizes throughout North America with thousands of customers trusting Syntax with their IT services and ERP needs.
Syntax’s award-winning Private Cloud Solutions for E-Business Suite, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Hyperion, OBIEE and Siebel deliver what enterprise application stakeholders value the most: superior, reliable performance at competitive, predicable costs.